President of India just addressed joint session of Parliament ahead of Budget Session, starting today. This year Budget has been advanced by 1 Month and the General Budget will be presented tomorrow, followed by Most Important Economic Survey 2016-17, coming up in few hours. Another most important part of this Budget is that rail budget has been merged with General Budget and will not be presented separately, from Budget 2017 onwards.
While addressing the legislators of the country, President of India also praised the countrymen for going through the struggle of demonetisation and said that the resilience showed by the citizens, particularly the poor in the fight against black money and corruption was remarkable. He further said, “the core of all my government policies, is the welfare of ‘gareeb’, ‘peedit’, ‘Dalit’, ‘vanchhit’. Govt committed to growth, ‘sabka saath sabka vikaas’.”
The President praised the countrymen for voluntarily giving up the LPG subsidy to help the poor. He praised the Modi government for having taken many initiatives to improve the quality of life of the poor, and the commitment to provide shelter.
While Highlighing the achievements of Modi Government, he said :
- My government is committed to providing shelter to every houseless with appropriate interest subvention
- 11,000 of 18,000 villages, which were in darkness since independence, were electrified in record time
- 37% of 1.5 crore beneficiaries of Ujjwala scheme to provide free LPG cylinder to the poor, belong to the SC/ST category
- Swachh Bharat mission has become a ‘Jan Andolan’.
- Close to 13 crore poor have been covered under various social security schemes
- An unprecedented 26 crore plus Jan Dhan accounts have been opened for the unbanked
- Over 20 lakh youth have benefitted from the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana, said President Mukherjee
- The government is guided by the Antyodaya philosophy of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya
- Core philosophy of the government is upliftment of poor and deprived. Financial inclusion is key to poverty alleviation
- Over Rs2 trillion has been provided through 5.6 crore loans sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana.
- Under Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana, over Rs 16,000 crore have been made available to SHGs in the current Financial Year.
- At the core of the government’s policies is the welfare of garib, dalit, peedit, shoshit, vanchit, kisan, shramik and yuva
- A nationwide network of 50 India International Skill Centres is being established with the objective of providing training of global standards to the youth
- My government is committed to provide shelter to every houseless poor household through the Pradhan Mantri Aawas Yojana
- Mission Indradhanush commits to vaccinate “every child everywhere” against preventable diseases
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will make clean energy accessible to the poor
- With motto of “Har Haath ko Hunar”, the government has taken several steps for skilling youth & improving their employability
- The government is committed to social and economic equality for the deprived and underprivileged sections as enshrined in the Constitution
©Saurabh Chhabra – Tax Editor at LexisNexis